Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Mike Murdock - TV preacher I prayed the prayer with


A friend asked me what TV preacher I was referring to in my Profile section and that credit goes to Mr. Mike Murdock. He's frequently on Daystar during the telethon periods and is famous for chanting into a sincere-camera-close up, "go to the phone, go to the phone," over and over while he's praying. He has a tendency to brag about the fact people give him money, expensive cars and gifts of all sorts. At the time in 2002 he had just purchased his own personal plane and felt the need to justify why he needed that so badly.

He'll come up with a random number like 58 and tell you that God told him this was perfect dollar amount to sow a seed with to get a double portion. At the time being a fledging Christian this sounded good to me and I pledged to pay $58 for so many months. In a matter of months I realized how silly this was from reading the Bible for the first time and attending a Bible-based church. But I finished out my pledge period figuring I had prayed to God I would give this money, and it's on Daystar's head what they do with it.

At the time I came to Christ I was also going through a period of wanting to get rich. I was reading a lot of the get rich type business books. I had my own company which was driving me nuts and dreamed of making big money to get away from the woes of the world so it's understandable why I would not have a problem with Mr. Murdock's method of prosperity teaching (name and claim it). Fortunately for me, I kept digging to find people who preached the true gospel reflected in the Bible. I have heard stories of many people who don't get that far, gave away a lot of their money and become bitterly disillusioned enough to join the group of folks that believes that all of Christianity is run by frauds and believers are easily mislead sheep.

I can't help but think of Matthew 7:22-23 when I come across teachers like Mike and the infamous Benny Hinn (both live in north Texas BTW). I would hate to stand before God knowing that I took money from people in the name of Jesus so as to advance a life of luxury for myself. But I guess only they know if they are being good stewards of the treasures God has given them. To a certain extent we will all be subject how we spent our wealth on that last great day. I know I've been guilty of wasting money on silly things that could have helped feed a starving child somewhere in the world or helped someone hear the gospel.

Matthew 7:22
22 Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23 Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

A confession: I love Internet search engines because it makes me appear like I can recite Bible verses from memory. In reality I can remember part of a verse and then search on that phrase to find it the rest of it and it's book and numbering.

Mike Murdock in action:



What some people say about Mike Murdock:

15 comments:

Streetpreach in Texas said...

Must be telethon time at Daystar! I turned on the TV and channel surfing saw my ole buddy, Mike, now asking for $85 instead of $58 seeds. He looks a little older and the "Just for Men" is being used a lot more. I wish this guy and Daystar would repent of this evil. It's more sad than funny.

Anonymous said...

i would rather give my money to my local church here in abilene texas love and care ministries .At leaste i know we feed and clothe the homeless.I aint sending my money to these people to buy themselves another 250,000 car while people are going without food or digging in trashcans aint no way any t.v. preacher is getting money thats helping people right here in abilene texas.

Streetpreach in Texas said...

I heard Irvin Baxter on endtime.com say on a recent radio show when asked about the prosperity gospel, "If there was a prosperity gospel, Jesus missed it." And he referenced Luke 9:58 "Jesus replied, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.""

Streetpreach in Texas said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itGAsP7raCA

This is pretty rough on the Prosperity Preachers

Streetpreach in Texas said...

http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?p=949322

Some good info on Mr Murdock.

One guy posted this and I think this is pretty interesting about Mr. Mike early days:

I actually knew Mike Murdock in his early days. My second wife and I were Amway distributors and very active in Amway until she died of cancer. But that is another long story.

But to get to the point; Mike was one of the preachers who Amway brought in for the sunday non demoninational service held after all of the big out of town rallys. He was a pretty good preacher back then and I followed his ministry as well as subscribing to his newsletter.

I stopped listening to anything he had to say when I started recieving things like requests for money for little packets of "holy sand" from where Jesus walked, etc. In other words the same bloody scam garbage all the televangelists were pulling to seperate the flock from their money.

BTW - Mike Murdock was also an Amway distributor back then. Only he started letting the money go to his head. Now he is just as bad as the Benny Hinns of the world.

Anonymous said...

any gospel that can't be preached to the poorest of the poor is not the gospel....

Anonymous said...

I have seen him boast about in his early days people kept buying him suits and having closets full, with the price tags still on them.Now this is a man of god letting people buy him suits with people in the world starving.We most need to pray for his soul. m.d. franklin, tn.

trpost said...

I'd rather listen to a "prosperity preacher" than one who preaches poverty and shortage. Psalm 35:27 says,“Let the LORD be magnified, Who has pleasure in the prosperity of His servant.”

Anonymous said...

Is it better to pull out verses the Properity Pimps love to take out of context just to be positive?

Or look at the whole canon of scripture and meditate on what God was really trying to tell us?

No, man-centered teaching is more appealing to the flesh. Just pick out verses that justify the man-centered urges you have.

Unknown said...

I hear he's getting married again?

Unknown said...

Is Dr Murdock engaged?

Anonymous said...

street preacher i hate that you feel this way i also donated the 58.00$ seed,..i have received miracle after miracle,..its according to your faith be it unto you,..i had a manager from the pit of hell, i had prayed and prayed ,..i donated in january in february she was dismissed!
be careful not to judge spiritual things with the natural mind.

Charity said...

He doesnt take your money and live a life of luxury. He doesnt take the offering's and the seed's and use them for his own pleasure. He does things with that money. He helps other countries, he helps people, he helps spread the word of God. He also contributes that money to keeping his television program on air for the world to see... To each his own.. You dont like him, i do.. I've been listening to his teachings for a long time now, and he has never failed to be a blessing to me and my family. I just seen him tonight and talked with him, and he is a beautiful blessing. And if you dont want to give money to HIM then give to something else, another church, or whatever, all seed sowing is the same.. Which is what he is trying to teach you.. Miracles and blessings have come our way after sowing seeds with Mr Murdock. I've heard countless testimonies. If you dont believe, You cant receive. Maybe you had to many doubts? Step out side of the box, take a little leap of faith, and give, expecting something amazing in return. Also........... God wants people to be happy and live luxurious lives, what is wrong with that? He wants us all to be happy.. Not poor, and poverty, and homeless, and hungry. I praise the Lord for the wisdom he has placed in Mr. Murdock's life! And like i said.. To each his own.. Im not knocking you for not likeing him... Im just saying.. I like him.. Personally.

Anonymous said...

Probably mike himself right above. Ain't no "charity"!

Anonymous said...

Check out this website and you can see for yourself where all of the money goes. This house is in the tax rolls and listed as Mike Murdock owner. http://www.fortworthrealestatephotography.com/Tour/MLS/2010WhitebridgeRd-Argyle-TX.html